Academic Advisor (Maternity cover)
Expanding access to quality higher education to make the world a better place
Throughout our worldwide network of higher education institutions, we share a mission to make quality higher education accessible and affordable so more students can pursue their dreams. It's a mission we believe will help make the world a better place.
Laureate's network institutions deliver professional-oriented programs in a wide range of disciplines that generate strong interest from students and provide attractive employment outcomes.
We believe in the power of education to transform lives and remain committed to making a positive, enduring impact in the communities we serve. When our students succeed, countries prosper and societies benefit.
Academic Advisors facilitate student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. They build supportive and personalized relationships with students, manage their day to day expectations, and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our online community. Academic Advisors advise students on university policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters; and work closely with other support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
This position is based at our office in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
We would ideally need the person from April 2 nd for 6 months.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary guide to ensure that students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
- Connect with new students who have completed enrolment to the programme to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start.
- Assist students in understanding and completing degree requirements.
- Assist students with appropriate module re-enrolment and final project/dissertation/thesis start up.
- Advise students on university policies and procedures, programme requirements and related academic matters.
- Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress.
- Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and provide comprehensive outreach to improve academic success.
- Work closely with Laureate academic staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, while supporting academic integrity and University policies.
- Cognitively guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new study lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to Laureate and its online community of learners.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's or advanced degree a plus.
- Must have a strong commitment to education
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms.
- Familiarity with online learning and Internet technology a plus.
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience working in a service-oriented environment or university setting.
- Coaching and or mentoring skills essential.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures using verbal and written communication channels.
- Excellent English language verbal and written communication skills required, comparable to a minimum of IELTS 6.5, TEEP 6.5, TOEFL 600.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Creative, innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.