Outdoor Pool Manager (Thornton Park) Seasonal (P/T)
Salary Range: $15.00 - $20.00 hourly (starting salary dependent on
Hours: qualifications) 20 - 50 hours/week; Weekdays, evenings and holidays required.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
The Swimming Pool Manager performs administrative, managerial and semi-skilled functions for City services related to the swimming pool operations. Directs all lifeguards and head lifeguards and the Learn to Swim program during the Thornton Pool season.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
To include, but not limited to:
- Plans, directs, and organizes the activities of the swimming pool;
- Knowledge of all Thornton Park Pool swimming pool rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Operates and maintains the Thornton Pool;
- Abides by state and local laws and regulations, and policies on swimming pool operations;
- Responsible for planning work schedules and assigning job duties;
- Schedules classes, lessons and necessary lifeguard training;
- Prepares and cleans the pool area, building and perimeter for opening and closing each season;
- Supervises lifeguards to ensure proper pool operation procedures are followed and consistent enforcement and effectiveness of operations; assists and adjusts error and complaints;
- Develops lifeguard schedules and ensures proper substitute procedures are adhered to;
- Implements emergency management procedures and provides procedures training to lifeguards;
- Maintains up-to-date inventory of all pool equipment and supplies, including forms and reports, first aid supplies, and cleaning supplies; restocks supplies as needed;
- Reports equipment problems or needed repairs to Recreation Director;
- Completes all necessary paperwork including time cards and any other pool statistics as requested; documents all hours worked by all pool employees and submits time cards to Accounting Technician;.
- Deals with patrons pleasantly, while being fair and direct; initially handles all grievances and/or disciplinary cases involving pool patrons; keeps Recreation Director informed of any grievance situation;
- Reports serious accidents or incidents to the Recreation Director immediately following rescue, treatment or assistance, and completes required reports;
- Maintains harmony among workers, motivates and evaluates lifeguards, and resolves pool staff grievances; communicates staff difficulties and operation problems to the Recreation Director;
- Enforces department policies and procedures;
- Leads, trains, directs, and supervises lifeguards in the operation of the Thornton Park swimming pool;
- Determines whether facilities are safe to be open to the public;
- Performs tests on water to determine appropriate level of chemicals;
- Maintains records on pool activities;
- Performs work according to policies and procedures, and the personnel manual;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Problem Solving - works well in group problem-solving situations.
- Customer Service - responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills - focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains positive attitude; gets along well with co workers.
- Oral Communication - speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations.
- Teamwork - balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests and supports everyone.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Four years of college preferred with a minimum of six years lifeguarding and two years of pool supervision. Must possess American Red Cross LGI and WSI certification. LGIT and WSIT certifications are preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
The City of Shaker Heights does not hire individuals who use or test positive
for tobacco or nicotine products.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER