Go back to the Job List
Associate Principal User Experience Designer/ Industrial DesignPosted by: Kenexa
Posted date: Feb-10-2012
Location: Cortland, NY
We have embarked on a multi-year plan to build world class design competencies from scratch and we are seeking a passionate and creative world class Experience Design professional to fill a key position. At Pall, there are abundant opportunities for design professionals to make tangible contributions in shaping greener and safer world and this truly is a new frontier for design. The position is both strategic and tactical in nature requiring strong thought leadership, organizational agility as well as exceptional technical competency. The position will contribute to both development of design strategies for Pall and to key LOB design programs. The most important mission for this position is to help create a widespread empathy throughout the organization that enables and empowers truly breakthrough innovations. The position reports directly to Vice President, Industrial Design and Usability. We are located in beautiful Finger Lakes region near Ithaca, NY, home to Cornell University as well as many gorges, state parks, and vibrant cultural hot spots.
Pall has led the industry in technology supremacy for decades. But, our customer requirements are changing and new opportunities are developing constantly and with increased speed. We cannot just deliver on today’s customer expectations but over-deliver on future expectations. To do so, we must develop deep insight to customer and create and tell a new story with our enabling technologies, solutions and products. The Associate Principal Experience Designer will help us develop tools and processes that enable us to create widespread empathy that enables and empowers product development teams to deliver truly breakthrough and holistic workflow solutions with industry leading end-to-end ease of use. Also, as a hands-on Experience Design expert, The Associate Principal Experience Designer will participate in key product development programs to put the tools and the processes into practice help delivering breakthrough solutions.
· Defines and implements effective and efficient tools and processes for developing truly usable and satisfying holistic product experience
· Defines, coordinates and leads all necessary user experience design activities and owns deliverables including: task analysis, experience prototype, personas, experience architecture, experience requirements, validation test etc…
· Evolves, adapts and applies a common set of tools and processes across Pall.
· Develops customer/user research process and practices
· Develops a network of research and testing resources around world
· Develops relevant data collection and data analysis practices
· Leads the experience design of complex products, solutions or key solution components
· Develops E2E customer/user journey tools
· Manages design research projects to explore unknown areas or evaluate design concepts, prototypes and solutions
· Organizes and drives projects (assembles teams, budget development & tracking, guidance, component assembly)
· Organizes and drives the development of project-specific design metrics and business cases
· Manages a portfolio of blue-sky projects to explore unknown areas or evaluate design concepts, prototypes and final offerings
· Contributes to design related measurements to determine product line success and aggregates and integrates design and other metrics across budgets or projects
· Translates research findings into design recommendations to quickly improve product designs early in the design cycle.
· Performs usability testing to determine whether features and products have met business and usability objectives.
· Develops innovative strategies to answer research questions with limited resources.
· Designs research protocols and prepare research plans.
· Plans user research activities such as participant recruiting and scheduling, materials production, lab preparation, and other logistics.
· Creates research materials as necessary
· Develops experience requirements specifications.
· Develops mockup / prototype interaction designs, including user interaction models, information architecture, wire frames and screen flows.
· Works with designers to conduct customer studies of mockups, prototypes and experience; and iterate designs based on usability test results.
· Leads Design Thinking related activities including training and workshop.
Desired Skills & Experience:
· 5+ years experience in user interface design, information architecture, usability testing, human factors, and other related disciplines within a consultative or corporate environment.
· 5+ years experience leading design and usability projects
· Proven ability to instill usability as a core value in product development programs development organization’s culture.
· Outstanding communication, organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
· Thorough knowledge of both hardware and the software development lifecycle
· Team development, management and leadership experience
· Masters degree in a related area such as psychology, human factors or HCI, a PhD is a strong advantage but individuals with Bachelors degree and relevant experience will be considered.
· Experience in Design Thinking workshop facilitation a plus
Apply online at:
To apply for this position please visit our career site at https://pall-ats.silkroad.com/epostings/
And insert this tracking code SC-120119165510 in the “enter search terms” box and this job will appear.
Pall is a Fortune 1000 bioscience, materials science and engineering company with the broadest filtration, separation and purification capabilities in the world. Our process and product enabling technologies help our customers make good products better, safer and even possible. We provide innovative products to customers in healthcare, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, semiconductor, municipal drinking water, aerospace and industrial manufacturing markets. Our products, instruments and technologies deliver breakthrough cell therapies, help develop new drugs, enables development and production of next generation microchips, create safe drinking water from virtually any source, help aircraft fly safely, monitor environment and enable production of clean energy. Founded in 1946 and headquartered in NY, Pall has operations in every major country with over 10,000 employees. Pall was named a Top Green Company in 2011 by Newsweek magazine.
Pall Corporation is committed to equal opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, veteran's status or any other personal trait protected by federal, state or local law. We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive array of benefits, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of professionals.