Go back to the Job List
SENIOR STAFF TECHNICAL OPERATIONS ENGINEERPosted by: Beckman Coulter
Posted date: Feb-10-2012
Location: Chaska MN
· Works within the Beckman Coulter Diagnostics business, directly supporting the Immunoassay product line plastic consumables.
· Reports into Group Manager, Instrument Operations - Collaborates with, and may support as needed: Life Sciences and Corporate
Beckman Coulter plastic consumables:
• Discovery & Automation consumable products including cartridges, bottles, tubes, liners.
• Develops internal or sources external plastic consumable manufacturing processes and associated facilities, technology and technical support to meet Diagnostics business needs.
• Supervises up to 3 Technical Operations Engineers and/or Technicians.
• Responsible for ~$750k expense spending budget; ~$3-5M capital budget
• Ensure capable plastic manufacturing processes, whether internal or external through collaboration with external suppliers, that produce high quality parts and meets customer delivery requirements.
Scope of work will include:
• Process development
• Workflow definition
• Cost modeling
• Process documentation
• Standard work
• Process validation
• Statistical Process Control
• Preventative Maintenance Plans
• Provide input to plastic consumable part design ensuring capable designs and parts meet quality and cost targets when released into full production.
• Perform DFM (design for manufacturing) reviews and Moldflow Analysis of plastic product designs
• Assist in the design of plastic injection mold tooling
Prioritize and manage projects as assigned to reduce operating costs and improve quality by:
• Creating schedules and project plans
• Managing the work of outside suppliers
• Generating support and buy-in from other individuals and/or groups as necessary to execute projects successfully.
• Communicating progress and results effectively
• Following processes and procedures to execute changes in compliance with quality and regulatory requirements.
• Conduct manufacturing readiness planning and execution
• Lead investigation of customer feedback forms, identification of required corrections, corrective and preventive action as needed in partnership with applications to achieve resolution of field issues.
• Drive Lean Six Sigma practices throughout plastic consumable value streams, including part design, internal and outsourced manufacture, packaging and logistics to reduce cost and improve quality.
• Lead product transfer projects (based on careful, business/data driven analysis of in-source/outsource options, etc.).
• Key leadership attributes required
• Good Plastics Engineer at a very advanced level Minimum Experience: 14+ year’s plastics engineering.
• Experience must include hands-on work with: injection mold processing, plastic product design, and process validation expertise.
• Preferably in the medical industry.
• Additional experience with other manufacturing processes such as: thermoforming, compression molding, structural foam molding, blow molding, RIM, extrusion, casting, MIM, and machining strongly preferred.
· B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, or Plastics Engineering Technology. Would consider 12 yrs. experience with Master’s
· Travel to domestic and international worksites up to 10%.
Key leadership attributes required:
• Technical Know-How: In depth understanding and practical experience in the area of thermoplastics and plastics processing including: Injection Molding, Blow Molding, Thermoforming, Reaction Injection Molding, Extrusion, Transfer Molding, etc. with an emphasis on injection molding.
• People Leader – Teacher, Effective Communicator and Teamwork
• Results Focused – Focused Urgency, Business Plan Achievement, Continuous Process Improvement
• Strategic Leader – Effectively partner with other leaders within the business to identify and pursue additional opportunities.
• Understands the voice of the customer and advocates for customer value in product and process development.
• Oversees the implementation of SPC throughout plastic consumable processes.
• Assigns and supervises the work of others.
• Contributes to and/or leads multi-functional project teams.
• Displays strong problem solving, technical writing, presentation, negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills. Is able to teach these skills to less senior engineers.
• Utilizes both written and oral format to effectively communicate critical design/project information to internal customers and company leadership.
Apply online at: https://recruiter.kenexa.com/bci/cc/CCJobDetailAction.ss?command=CCViewDeta il&ccid=bupJEdUjsTs=&job_REQUISITION_NUM BER=97053
Beckman Coulter develops, manufactures and markets products that simplify, automate and innovate complex biomedical testing. Our diagnostic systems are found in hospitals and other critical care settings around the world and produce information used by physicians to diagnose disease, make treatment decisions and monitor patients. Instruments for life science research are used by scientists as they study complex biological problems including the causes of disease, identify new therapies, and test new drugs. Our customers include hospitals, physicians' offices, diagnostic reference laboratories, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, medical schools and research institutions. In fact, Beckman Coulter has more than 200,000 clinical and research instrument systems operating in laboratories around the world.