Go back to the Job List
Marine BiologistPosted by: Atoll Volunteers
Posted date: May-09-2020
Location: Naifaru, The Maldives
*This is an unpaid position
Naifaru Juvenile is a young and vibrant NGO based in the beautiful Maldives. We welcome international volunteers from around the globe for a range of programmes including medical and teaching placements, and Marine and Turtle Conservation, hosted at our Atoll Marine Centre. This will be a rotating position between the marine centre on our local island and resort marine centres.
The responsibilities for running the marine centre on the local island of Naifaru include; caring for the sea turtles, progressing our coral gardening efforts, raising environmental awareness within the community, monitoring local reef health and managing the international volunteers who pay to participate in the marine programs; �Marine Conservation� & �Turtle Conservation�. The daily work is mostly caring for the turtles, but the more effective the turtle programme runs and in period with many volunteers, the more time there will be for the other projects.
The work required for running the resort marine centre will involve; sea turtle nest patrols and implement protection of nests, progressing the coral gardening efforts, meeting and educating resort guests in various settings, leading education marine activities for guests, and hosting and holding children�s club. You will lead and interact with the resort guests daily and we strive to make sure they enjoy visiting the centre and learning things about the turtles and the marine environment.
As such, the work requires constant commitment and passion. The position takes on a lot of responsibility and the chosen candidates will be expected to shoulder this responsibility in a disciplined and professional way while also keeping a healthy balance between work and fun. We attract volunteers from around the world, from different backgrounds and with different needs. You will lead and interact with these volunteers daily and we strive to make certain that they have a meaningful stay with us.
As the marine biologist your job description will include the following�
1. Managing the operations and expansions at our marine centre in Naifaru and at the resort on a rotating schedule to be determined as needed
� Maintaining and improving aesthetic appeal, operational facilities and educational content/displays
� Daily opening to receive and educate visitors: guest talks, kids clubs, fundraising
� Advising the resort on ecological matters
2. Managing and expanding/improving the Turtle Conservation programme
� Ensuring correct sea turtle husbandry (daily)
� Working towards effective protection for sea turtles and their eggs
� Establishing and maintaining constructive communications with other sea turtle institutions
� Continuing turtle conservation contributions for the Maldives Sea Turtle Monitoring Network
� Monitoring and protection of sea turtle nests at the resort
3. Managing and expanding/improving the Marine Conservation programme at the Marine Centre and Resort
� Monitoring and expanding coral gardening work
� Monitoring reef health in the surrounding areas
� Help with the Clownfish Breeding Programme
4. Managing and expanding/improving awareness outreach into the community and to resort guests
� Weekly nature club lessons (ages 10-15)
� Environmental events to reach the whole community
� Reaching out to neighbouring islands
5. Ensuring the health and happiness of participating volunteers and marine interns
6. Planning and overseeing the duties of our participating local, international volunteers and marine interns
7. Writing progress reports, funding reports and funding/grant proposals where necessary
8. Rotating schedule assisting with the operations and expansions at the marine centre in Naifaru as well as at the resort
The below criteria are extremely important as your effectiveness here will depend on your ability to thrive in the conditions and face all the tasks ahead.
1. You must have a Bachelor degree with some experience in a related field; marine biology, marine ecology etc.
2. You should have proven experience working in a tropical and/or developing country. When working on the local island of Naifaru, conditions are basic, food is simple and island operations and supplies tend to be limited and slow under the concept of �island time� compared to when you are working at the resort.
3. You will need to be an easy-going, approachable and friendly �team player� as this position is more than a scientific one. You will be educating and communicating with resort guests daily.
4. The ability to work independently will be important as your �behind-the-scenes work/ideas� will lead and mould the programme going forward.
5. You will need to be a confident and charismatic speaker with experience delivering informative but attractive and interactive slideshows. You will be delivering presentations to tourists, children, or even members of the council or other NGOs.
6. You will need to be physically fit and comfortable/strong in the water, preferably confident free-diver. It is extremely hot and unsheltered and you will have to travel around the island by foot.
7. You MUST be available for 12 months.
8. Must be available by the end of July 2020.
1. Experience working with sea turtles, whether in the wild or a captive-scenario, will be hugely beneficial as the health and happiness of the turtles is our first priority.
2. Coral gardening experience.
3. A working knowledge of reef ecology and tropical marine species.
4. Experience working in hospitality
This is an unpaid position. However, your board, lodging, domestic travel and visa will be covered while you are in Naifaru.
To apply for the position you must submit an application (CV and cover letter) to coordinatoratollvolunteers.com. Questions are also very welcome.
This is an urgent position and therefore we will be rolling applications until the best candidate has been selected. Applicants must be available to begin working in July 2020 and commit for a 12-month period.