Go back to the Job List
Biological Scientist - Cell Culture and BioprocessingPosted by: Synthace
Posted date: Jul-31-2019
Location: West London
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, and one of Gartner's 'Cool Vendors in Life Sciences' 2018, Synthace is building a software platform - Antha - to transform the way biology is done.
We're moving biology from manual processes with hand held pipettes and lab books to reproducible automated experimentation, traced samples, structured datasets and cutting-edge data analysis. This is a highly collaborative effort between software developers, biologists, engineers, mathematicians, bioinformaticians, designers and our growing list of industrial partners in the biosciences.
We're growing exponentially and looking for individuals who are like minded, intellectually curious, and want to work on meaningful projects that will make a genuine difference to the world.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We're looking to recruit passionate and enthusiastic PhD or Post-Doctoral level biological scientists and engineers, to join our world-class team and help us achieve our goal of re-defining and revolutionising Biology.
To be successful in this role you must have hands-on lab based experience. This experience will be crucial in engaging with our users and your future colleagues i.e. understanding their needs and exploring where Antha sits within that context.
Your domain expertise will play a major part in this role. However, you will also have an entrepreneurial drive to produce high-quality deliverables which must be complemented by your problem solving, critical thinking, adaptability, communication skills and work ethic.
This role will focus on addressing the mammalian cell culture and bioprocess challenges associated with this new way of doing biology. Our main target market is the pharmaceutical sector, so relevant experience in an industrial setting is highly desirable, i.e. discovery, development and bioprocessing. In particular, we are interested in hearing from candidates with mammalian cell culture and bioprocess engineering in PR&D, MSAT or similar experience.
Although this isn't a customer facing role, at times you will be expected to advise more outward facing Synthace members and end users on sophisticated workflows and associated scientific challenges. You may find yourself collaborating with external members to configure Antha i.e. to digitise biological protocols and processes. Hence, a willingness and ability to communicate effectively in technical and multidisciplinary situations is highly essential.
At its core, the role has an essential product development function to it. This will require you to further leverage your scientific knowledge and wet lab experiences. In addition, you will also build on your ability to work collaboratively and creatively with a range of stakeholders (particularly software engineers) to deliver value to the wider Antha user base.
A minimum of a PhD, and industrial or Post-Doctoral experience is preferred. Extensive training will be provided and there will be excellent opportunities for you to expand your skill-set and progress organically within the company into senior positions.
This is an office/lab based role but occasionally you may be required to travel to other locations.
* Must have obtained a PhD or equivalent - Industrial cell culture and bioprocessing experience (PR&D, MSAT or similar) strongly preferred
* Industrial level thinking with a pragmatic view to delivery and collaborative problem solving
* Extensive experience with mammalian cell culture
* Demonstrable experience in bioprocessing, working on scale up, scale down, tech transfer and handling large bioprocess relevant data sets
* Deep knowledge and experience of common lab techniques
Must demonstrate a deep understanding of own scientific work and broader scientific concepts that relate
* Demonstrated scientific excellence and delivery
* Exceptional data analysis skills, demonstrating a high level of competence and ability to talk at length about own data
* Experience with developing lab protocols and processes, including their successful tech transfer i.e. plate based assays, upstream processes, etc. * Automation experience preferred.
* Both the ability to work independently and in a high-performance multi-disciplinary team in a highly collaborative fashion to deliver prioritised tasks
* Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills
* Pro-actively seeks out resources and solutions when needed
* Outstanding communication skills across a multi-disciplinary team which is presentable both internally and externally.
* Excellent documentation and reporting skills
* Must be able to persevere and have entrepreneurial drive to learn in a dynamic environment
* Adaptable to changing business needs
Bonus points for:
* Experience working in pharma and biotech
* QbD, DoE, QA/QC experience
* Experience with lab automation
* Prior experience with client-focused support or applications
* Project management experience
* Good level of programming experience (e.g. Go, Python, R)
* Post-Doctoral experience
Why work for Synthace:
* Work with genuinely extraordinary people
* Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
* Challenging, ground-breaking and exciting work
* Chance to be a part of 'pharma 4.0', helping us to create tools and systems that allow scientists to do things like cure diseases and get insights faster!
Salary range: £40k - £45k depending on experience.
Important: All applicants are required to submit a Cover Letter along with their CV.
This advert is part of a rolling recruitment programme that will run from 31st July 2019 until 30th August 2019.