Go back to the Job List
Biological Scientist - Analytical DevelopmentPosted by: Synthace
Posted date: Jul-31-2019
Location: West London
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, and one of Gartner's 'Cool Vendors in Life Sciences' 2018, Synthace is building a software platform - Antha - to transform the way biology is done.
We're moving biology from manual processes with hand held pipettes and lab books to reproducible automated experimentation, traced samples, structured datasets and cutting-edge data analysis. This is a highly collaborative effort between software developers, biologists, engineers, mathematicians, bioinformaticians, designers and our growing list of industrial partners in the biosciences.
We're growing exponentially and looking for individuals who are like minded, intellectually curious, and want to work on meaningful projects that will make a genuine difference to the world.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We're looking to recruit passionate and enthusiastic PhD or Post-Doctoral level biological scientists and engineers, to join our world-class team and help us achieve our goal of re-defining and revolutionising Biology.
In this role you will help to develop biological and analytical protocols and processes using Synthace�s Antha platform. Processes for optimisation could range from analytical and metrological. You could also find yourself optimising existing methodologies with a view to make them better using tools such as Design of Experiments. Flexibility and a willingness to take on challenges will be key here.
To be successful in this role you must have hands-on lab based experience, including assay development and analytical techniques. This experience will be crucial in engaging with our users and your future colleagues i.e. understanding their needs and exploring where Antha sits within that context.
Our core target market is the pharmaceutical sector, so relevant experience in an industrial setting is highly desirable, particularly in discovery, development, bioprocessing or analytics. However, an entrepreneurial drive to produce high-quality deliverables i.e. proven adaptability cases, the willingness to learn, grow and thrive in a dynamic and diverse environment will be the key for this role.
Over time, you may also be expected to advise more outward facing Synthace members and end users on sophisticated workflows and associated scientific challenges. Hence, having a communicative drive and conviction in your scientific understanding and knowledge will be the key determinative factor.
At its core, the role has an essential product development function to it. This will require you to further leverage your scientific knowledge and wet lab experiences. In addition, you will also build on your ability to work collaboratively and creatively with a range of stakeholders (particularly software engineers) to deliver value to the wider Antha user base.
When you initially start, extensive training will be provided and there will be excellent opportunities for you to expand on your skill-sets and progress organically within the company into senior roles.
This is an office/lab based role but occasionally you may be required to travel to other locations.
* At least PhD level or equivalent in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline (post-doctoral and industrial experience preferred)
* Demonstrated adaptability through intelligence and perseverance in a scientific context
* Demonstrated scientific excellence and delivery
* Excellent understanding of the experimental processes and it's limitations e.g. independent experimental planning through to execution and analysis
* Excellent data analysis skills, demonstrating a good level of competence and ability to talk at length about your own data
* Must demonstrate a deep understanding of own scientific work and broader scientific concepts that relate
* Demonstrates experience of or potential to work well both independently and in a high-performance multi-disciplinary team
* Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills
* Outstanding communication skills across a multi-disciplinary team that is presentable both internally and externally
* Pragmatic view to delivery and collaborative problem-solving skills
* Excellent documentation and reporting skills
* Unrivalled work ethic
* You pro-actively seek out resources and solutions when needed
* Entrepreneurial drive to learn in a dynamic environment
* Adaptable to changing business needs
Bonus points for:
* Experience working in pharma and biotech
QbD, DoE (Design of Experiment), QA/QC experience
* Experience with lab automation
* Cell culture experience
* Prior experience with external collaborators
* Project management experience
* Good level of programming experience (e.g. Go, Python, R)
Why work for Synthace?
* Work with genuinely extraordinary people
* Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
* Challenging, ground-breaking and exciting work
* Chance to be a part of 'pharma 4.0', helping us to create tools and * systems that allow scientists to do things like cure diseases and get insights faster!
Salary range: £35k - £40k depending on experience.
Important: All applicants are required to submit a Cover Letter along with their CV.
This advert is part of a rolling recruitment programme that will run from 31st July 2019 until 30th August 2019.