Go back to the Job List
Postdoctoral Fellowship Precision Agriculture in integrated crop-livestock systemsPosted by: NIPE/UNICAMP
Posted date: Sep-05-2018
Location: Campinas SP
Title: Postdoctoral Fellowship Precision Agriculture in integrated crop-livestock systems
Location: School of Agricultural Engineering (FEAGRI), University of Campinas (UNICAMP), Brazil
This post-doctoral fellowship stands within the project “Monitoring integrated crop-livestock systems through remote sensing and precision agriculture for more sustainable production - Towards Low Carbon Agriculture” supported by FAPESP (FAPESP 2014/50715-9) where three different research groups will work together.
The main proposal aims to monitor and model integrated areas, considering its dynamics, combining remote sensing, precision agriculture and biogeochemical models, to achieve sustainable production systems. The successful candidate will contribute to increase the knowledge about integrated crop-livestock systems impact on soil variability and greenhouse gas flux. The candidate will be working at an experimental farm in Caiuá, SP.
The candidate will be responsible for fieldwork and management of the group activities. The candidate will deal with specific instruments and sensors, data storage and analysis, remote-sensing images (MODIS, Landsat, Sentinel, etc), no-orbital images (drones) and proximal sensing data. The specific goal here is to delineate management zones and evaluate whether they allow proper crop-pasture site-specific management, increasing profits by yield increase and/or inputs reduction. Moreover, to develop sample planning strategies, fertilization prescription maps and greenhouse gas balance.
Several laboratories and institutions collaborate in this project, such as NIPE and School of Agricultural Engineering of Unicamp, Embrapa Agricultural Informatics, University of New Hampshire-USA, and the Delft University-Netherlands.
The post-doctorate will be under the supervision of Prof. Paulo Graziano Magalhães and will collaborate with different researchers involved in the project.
The fellowship includes a taxfree monthly st ipend of R$ 7.174,80, plus 15% of the yearly value for research related expenses. All conditions and salary related to this FAPESP post-doc are listed there: http://www.fapesp.br/en/postdoc
Desired skills and competence
· A Ph.D. in any area correlated to the main objective of the project (agronomy, agricultural engineer, mechanical engineer, computer science, etc.)
· Previous knowledge about precision agriculture and/or integrated production systems.
· Working knowledge of coding languages (C++, Matlab, R, etc. ). The work will be mainly in R, so it would be a bonus.
· Experience with GIS, statistic and geostatistic would be a bonus.
· Experience with analysis of remotely sensed data is desired.
· Minimum qualifications include a demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed papers, effective oral communication skills, and to work well in a collaborative team environment.
· Strong interpersonal skills and adequate fluency in English, Portuguese will be a bonus
· Full-time work, 2 year, starting in November 2018, with the possibility of an extension.
Inquiries should be directed by email to Professor Paulo Graziano (grazianog.unicamp.br) with a copy to NIPE project manager (Johinislan Prates, jpratesunicamp.br), including “FAPESP project 2017/50205-9 post-doc PD1” in the subject line.
Send a cover letter stating your professional experiences and how you would satisfy the minimum qualifications (2 pages max), a CV, and two recommendations letters (all documents in pdf format).Submissions by email until September 30st, 2018.