Go back to the Job List
Postdoctoral Fellowship Modelling productivity of tropical fast-growing plantationsPosted by: Joni Prates
Posted date: Jun-25-2018
Location: Campinas SP Brazil
Title: Postdoctoral Fellowship Modelling productivity of tropical fast-growing plantations
Location: Interdisciplinary Center for Energy Planning N IPE /UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil
The successful candidate will develop, test and apply new modelling approaches for simulation of fast-growing plantations coupled water-carbon cycles and tree growth at the regional scale, using remote sensing and other large measurements datasets such as flux-tower data. The successful candidate will parameterize an existing process-based forest growth model for Eucalyptus plantations, and explore the potential of time series of remote-sensing images (MODIS, Landsat) and field measurements data streams assimilation to constrain the model at regional scale.
The post-doc is part of the FAPESP – Microsoft Research project “SEMP : Characterizing And Predicting Biomass Production In Sugarcane And Eucalyptus Plantations In Brazil (FAPESP 2014/50715-9)". Several laboratories and institutions collaborate in this project, such as NIPE and the Computing Institute of Unicamp, Embrapa Environment, Minas Gerais Federal University, CENA/USP and the French CIRAD institute (UMR Eco&Sols, Montpellier). The post-doc will be under the supervision of Dr. Marcelo Galdos and Dr. Guerric le Maire (CIRAD) (visiting researcher at NIPE and EMBRAPA), and will collaborate with the different researchers involved in the project.
The fellowship includes a taxfree monthly stipend of R$ 7.174,80 , plus 15% of the yearly value for research related expenses.
Desired skills and competence
· A Ph.D. in earth system science, ecophysiology, forestry or related discipline.
· Previous experience in process-based modelling of vegetation growth or similar complex models, confirmed by publications in this subject area.
· Working knowledge of coding languages (C++, Matlab, R, Fortran, etc. ). The work will be mainly in R, so it would be a bonus.
· Minimum qualifications include a demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed papers, effective oral communication skills, and to work well in a collaborative team environment.
· Experience with analysis of remotely sensed data will be a bonus
· Strong interpersonal skills and adequate fluency in English, Portuguese will be a bonus
· Full-time work, 1 year, starting in November 2018
· All conditions and salary related to this FAPESP post-doc are listed there : http://www.fapesp.br/en/postdoc
Inquiries should be directed by email to Rubens Lamparelli (lamparelg.unicamp.br) with a copy to NIPE project manager (Johinislan Prates, jpratesunicamp.br), including “FAPESP project 2014/50715-9 post-doc” in the subject line until July 31, 2018
Send a cover letter stating your professional experiences and how you would satisfy the minimum qualifications (2 pages max), a CV, and two recommendations letters (all documents in pdf format).
Submissions by email ultil July 31, 2018