Go back to the Job List
Associate Specialist Step I- IV, Evaluation and Assessment - Integrative BiologyPosted by: UC Berkeley
Posted date: Jun-07-2016
Location: UC Berkeley
Title: Associate Specialist Step I- IV, Evaluation and Assessment - Integrative Biology
The Department of Integrative Biology at UC Berkeley is seeking a highly motivated individual to carry out Evaluation and Assessment responsibilities. Under direct supervision of the program PI and co-PI responsible for Evaluation and Assessment, the Evaluator coordinates and implements the evaluation of the DS421 NSF Research Traineeship (NRT) program, an interdisciplinary training program for Master’s and PhD students at the intersection of data, social and natural sciences. S/he manages the design of the evaluation plan, ensuring the timely collection, interpretation, and reporting of evaluation findings. The Evaluator works alongside the program Executive and Steering Committees and the Program Coordinator to review evaluation findings, provide formative and summative evaluation, and revise the evaluation plan.
DS421 web site
• Works with Program Director to review and maintain Institutional Review Board (IRB) status.
• Works with the co-PI responsible for Evaluation and Assessment to recruit and retain trainees and faculty for participation in the evaluation.
• Works with NRT faculty to select and expand key constructs for trainee and faculty outcomes.
• Selects or creates instruments for data collection for key constructs.
• Works with the Program Coordinator to develop and maintain database for tracking evaluation participates and trainees.
• Implements and supervises the administration of surveys for trainees and faculty.
• Conducts interviews of trainees and faculty.
• Analyzes survey and interview data, and prepares written and oral presentations of results, including manuscripts for publication in the peer-reviewed literature on interdisciplinary STEM training of Master’s and PhD students.
• Attends and participates in Steering Committee meetings.
• Attends annual NRT workshop at NSF or alternative site.
• Communicates formative feedback to the Executive and Steering Committees.
• Contributes written summative feedback to be submitted in the annual report to the External Advisory Committee and campus administration.
• Works with course instructors within the program to assist in curriculum development and ensure alignment with program goals, and to create an assessment plan to evaluate trainee competencies in four key areas: data visualization; scientific presentation; content translation for non-technical audiences; and media interview skills.
Minimum/Basic Qualifications Required (At the time of application):
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in measurement and assessment or a related field.
• Minimum of four years’ experience designing and implementing mixed methods program evaluation.
Additional Required Qualifications (By start date):
• Specialized knowledge in areas of instrument development, psychometrics, qualitative methods, and research in areas related to learning and development in science education.
Preferred Qualifications (By start date):
• Experience within an interdisciplinary research setting at the graduate school level.
• Master’s degree or equivalent degree in measurement and assessment or a related field.
• The successful applicant will be a highly motivated, ambitious individual with strong organizational skills. A willingness to learn new techniques and skills is essential. Demonstrated good interpersonal skills are also necessary, as the job will require working in a group environment.
• Demonstrated excellent written and oral presentation skills.
This position reports to Dr. David Ackerly. The initial appointment will be for 20% time for 1 year with the expectation of extension based on performance and funding for the duration of the DS421 program. The approximate start date for this position will be June 24th, 2016
Salary: $53,124-63,960 depending on qualifications. This position does not provide benefits.
To Apply: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01049